Carrow Ridge Observatory
Every era is measured against the same line: what the observatory was looking at, and what it was looking through. The columns are meant to be read across, not down.
1889
A twelve-inch refractor under a canvas dome, paid for by the town’s watchmakers and open on Fridays.
1927
Glass plates replaced the eyepiece. Forty thousand of them are still stacked in the north room.
1954
A telephone line and a quartz clock made the ridge useful to anyone timing an occultation.
1981
The new mirror came up the hill by road in March. The refractor went downstairs to the schools room.
2016
Survey work moved north, out of the town’s glare. The dome now opens twice a week to whoever books.