Est. 1904

A brewery inside a waterworks.

Six moments in the life of a building that pumped a town’s water long before it made anything worth drinking. The line below runs on past both ends, because a history is a length cut out of something longer.

1904

The pumping station opens

Two beam engines and a well sunk into the chalk, built to move water for a town of eleven thousand people.

1931

The engines fall silent

The town went over to mains supply, the well was capped, and the boiler house stood empty for the next four decades.

1969

First cask in the well house

Three friends took a lease on the smaller hall, cleaned out the settling tank and mashed forty gallons in it.

1994

The chalk well reopens

We paid to have the borehole surveyed and brought back into use, and that water has decided every recipe since.

2011

The boiler house rebuilt

Fifteen years of repairs ended with a new roof, and the room that once raised steam became the tap room.

2023

Malt from four miles away

The last of the long-haul grain contracts ran out. Everything in the mash tun now grows within sight of the chimney.